Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"This is the little boat, we are down here!"

We were so sure this would be the trip to top them all.  This would be the trip that would show how far we have come as "real" sailors. This would be the best ocean weekend yet!  But, oh, how things can go so very wrong.

It all started out so well. We received our new VHF (since the last one had been dropped in the ocean).   We had all the needed, extra, safety gear, three different forms of GPS and 2 maps, compass, charts, extra water and food, extra batteries for all our safety gear.  We went through a safety check list (actually I had 4, I love list) for the boat, trailer and car.  Jackson ran the boat engine and checked the trailer tires.  By 8:15 am we were ready.

It was after noon by the time we pulled into our favorite marina.  Effortlessly, we put the mast up and docked.  Felling like experts, we unhooked the dock lines and pushed off.  It was then, that the engine died.

We had just unhooked, so, thankfully, it wasn't too hard to find someone to throw a line to.  We tied up again.  It was cold , we were all wearing winter coats under our life jackets.  Jackson figured that the engine might be cold, he tried it again.  It took some coaxing, but it started.  He ran it for a while, all seemed good.  So, off we went.

Directly in front of the marina is a very busy shipping channel.  Large, tug boat towed barges, speed up and down this boat freeway like semi-trucks racing to drop off their load. We looked both ways, there was a barge in the distance, but we would have plenty of time to make it across safely.  Just as we were passing the half way point of the shipping channel, the engine died again.  Our minds began to race.  What do we do now?  We still had a little time till the barge would catch up to us, but not much.  Jackson tried the engine again, no luck. He put the sail up, no wind.  He got out the paddle from the emergency life raft, and rowed like there a huge barge just behind us, which there was.  The barge had caught up to us and even worse another barge was heading our way in the opposite direction! In  just a few minutes we would be stuck between the two large boats.  I called on the radio, in my most calm voice (not!) "This is the little boat, we are down here!" I yelled over and over into the VHF while switching channels too fast for anyone to answer. (We have since worked on my VHF skills.)

Nothing was working, we couldn't move, couldn't direct our boat in anyway.  We could only float.  I felt like a small, helpless, and out of control,  VW Bug in the middle of a freeway of semi-trucks.  I had an idea, if we could not direct where we were going, at least we could stop moving.  We could stop, let the boats pass then call for help.  "We'll be Okay soon." I thought.  I hauled out the anchor and line.  A bit frantically, I fumbled with the line, trying to attach the anchor pin. I couldn't get in on, it was stuck.  Jackson, seeing what I was doing, ran to help.   He clipped the pin on, thew the anchor into the water and set the line.  He pulled to make sure the anchor was in all the way, the entire line came up!  No anchor, it must have slipped off the hook.  Jackson went back to rowing.

It was just at that moment that we saw a little skiff, a small fishing boat, headed out way.  In my bright blue winter coat and red life jacket I waved my arms furiously to get their attention, (as if they couldn't see us).  They had been sent out to help from one of the tug boats.  I thew them a line, and in no time we were being pulled out of the way and back to safety.  It was surreal as I looked over my shoulder and saw the sun set going down into the water.  We should have been out there.  It was going to go so well.  We had planned and prepared.  The two men on the little skiff were kind and understanding.  They acted so easy and nonchalant about the whole thing, as if this had happened before to other small boats in the shipping channel.  We pulled Little Woo out of the water.  We were in shock, and it was dark.  We were tired and wanted to go home.  But, we wanted to show the boys that just because something didn't go our way, we weren't going to give up.  Plus, I had a family fun night planned and they were really looking forward to it.  So, we pulled the boat to a camping spot on the beach.  We camped on the beach in the boat.

Here we are having fun in our boat... on land!

 We played Minute-To-Win-It games, decorated the cabin with balloons and 45 glow sticks.

In this game the goal is to get the cookie into your mouth with out touching it.  I think Alex won, but Jimmy said he got it too, although nobody saw him.




 Dad and Hunter won the "move the skittles with a straw" competition.





The next day we walked along the beach then went home.  Life is what you make it, we had made the best of it.  That next week, Jackson took apart the engine and found water in the gas we had just bought.  It all goes to show you, no matter how much you plan and prepare, you just can't be ready for everything.  But, you can choose how you deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment